On this page you will find our policies and statements on the following issues:
- Creative Commons Licensing
- Use of User Registration Features
- Legal Disclaimer
- Notice and Takedown Policy
Please note that these policies and statements are supplemental to any specific terms and conditions that govern the use of our individual services.
Content (content being images, transcriptions, programs and scripts) of this website that has been created, and is operated by the Shakespeare Quartos Archive, is available for use by anyone under the following Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial licenses:
- Attribution-Non-Commercial 2.0 UK for all content provided by institutions in the United Kingdom;
- Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States for all content provided by institutions in the United States.
Questions about or requests for permissions that fall outside of this licensing should be addressed to us using our contact form.
Registered users have their own workspaces in the Shakespeare Quartos Archive. With a free account, you can create public or private annotations, annotation sets, exhibitions, and labels (“Features”). The following terms and conditions apply to these Features.
1.1 If You use the Features You are deemed to have agreed to abide by all of the following Terms and Conditions together with any amendments thereto (both of which are non-negotiable) under which the Features are offered, and to be bound by them. Breach of any of these Terms and Conditions or any revised Terms and Conditions that We may from time to time impose may result in the blocking of Your access to the Shakespeare Quartos Archive website.
2.1 You may use the Features to post labels and annotations, create sets of annotations, create exhibits (“Material”) on or based on specific items within the Shakespeare Quartos Archive website. Such Material must comply with the rules (“Rules”).
2.2 You acknowledge that:
2.2.1 any Material posted is done so at Your own risk; and
2.2.2 We cannot guarantee the continued availability of Your Material within the Features.
3.1 You hereby grant Us a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, irrevocable licence to use Your Material within the Features. For the avoidance of doubt, We will not use your Material for any commercial purposes whatsoever, or for any purpose other than that set out in this clause.
3.2 We reserve the right to:
3.2.1 change or remove the Features without notice at any stage if We deem this necessary or circumstances arise that are outside Our control; and
3.2.2 remove any Material that does not comply with the Rules. Any decision to remove such material is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
4.1 You warrant that you have full right, power and authority to provide the Material, and that such Material does not infringe any third party rights.
4.2 You hereby indemnify Us against any actions brought against Us for any alleged infringement of third party rights arising from the use of the Material within the Features.
5.1 These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law. You hereby submit to and agree that the sole jurisdiction and venue for any actions that may arise under or in relation to the subject matter hereof shall be the English courts.
The content of this website can be accessed, printed and downloaded in accordance with applicable Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Licensing.
You agree not to:
- impersonate another person or use a false name or a name you are unauthorised to use or create a false identity or e-mail address or try to mislead others as to the identity or origin of any communications;
- make available or upload files that contain software or other material, data or information not owned or licensed to you or collect information about others (eg names/addresses) without their prior consent;
- damage, interfere with or disrupt access to the website or any of the services delivered through such website or do anything which may interrupt or impair their functionality;
- publish, post, distribute, disseminate or otherwise transmit defamatory, offensive, infringing, obscene, indecent or other unlawful or objectionable material or information;
- threaten, harass, stalk, abuse, disrupt, cause inconvenience or distress or otherwise violate the rights (including rights of privacy and publicity) of others;
- use the content or the website for any illegal or improper purpose;
- make available, upload or distribute by any means any material or files that contain any viruses, bugs, corrupt data, "trojan horses", "worms" or any other harmful software.
Requests for permission to reproduce material from this website outside of the terms of applicable Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial licensing should be addressed to us using our contact form.
The Shakespeare Quartos Archive has made every reasonable effort to locate, contact and acknowledge copyright owners and wishes to be informed by any copyright owners who are not properly identified and acknowledged on this website so that we may make any necessary corrections.
Individuals and organisations wishing to make Shakespeare Quartos Archive content accessible through their websites are encouraged to create hypertext links to the required content on this website.
Web Log Files
In common with most websites, the Shakespeare Quartos Archive website logs certain information about every request sent to it. This information is used for system administration and for producing usage statistics. Summary statistics are extracted from this data and some of these may be made publicly available, but these do not include information from which individuals could be identified. Relevant subsets of this data may be used as part of investigations of computer misuse involving this site (see also the Legal Disclaimer below). Data may also on occasion be used to enable investigation of technical problems on the website. Otherwise logged information is not passed to any third party except if required by law.
From time to time we will use electronic forms on this site to gather personal information for purposes directly related to a service, function or activity of the Archive. When we do so we will let you know the purpose for which the information is being collected (including if the information is to be published). Completion of and submission of any form on this website is entirely at the discretion of you, the website user.
Data Protection Statement
In using and submitting forms on this website you agree that the Shakespeare Quartos Archive may use any personal data of yours that you supply through the forms. The Shakespeare Quartos Archive respects your privacy and seeks to protect your personal data:
- The Shakespeare Quartos Archive will only collect and use your information to administer, support, improve and obtain feedback on its services
- The Shakespeare Quartos Archive may also use this information to assess what British Library products and services may be of interest to you and to personalise our service and marketing efforts
- The Shakespeare Quartos Archive may also contact you to obtain feedback on services and any improvements we can make
- You have the right to ask us at any time not to contact you by way of direct marketing
- The Shakespeare Quartos Archive will not disclose your personal data to any other organisation without your permission.
The Shakespeare Quartos Archive website provides links to other independent sites, but this policy statement applies only to direct use of this website (www.quartos.org). You will need to consult the providers of other websites for information on their policies.
The Shakespeare Quartos Archive has prepared the content of this website responsibly and carefully, but disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy of the information contained in any of the materials on this website or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. This includes, but is not by way of limitation:
- any implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose
- any liability for damage to your computer hardware, data, information, materials and business resulting from the information or the lack of information available
- any errors, omissions, or inaccuracies in the information
- any decision made or action taken or not taken in reliance upon the information
The Shakespeare Quartos Archive makes no warranty as to the content, accuracy, timeliness or completeness of the information or that the information may be relied upon for any reason and bears no responsibility for the accuracy, content or legality of any linked site or for that of any subsequent links. The Shakespeare Quartos Archive makes no warranty that the website service will be uninterrupted or error-free or that any defects can be corrected.
The Shakspeare Quartos Archive shall not be liable for any losses or damages (including without limitation consequential loss or damage) whatsoever from the use of, or reliance on, the information in its website, or from the use of the Internet generally. Any links to other websites do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by the Shakespeare Quartos Archive of any products, services, policies or opinions of the organisation or individual.
These disclaimers and exclusions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales under the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales. Those who choose to access this site from outside the United Kingdom are responsible for compliance with local laws if and to the extent local laws are applicable.
If you are a rights holder and are concerned that you have found material on our website, for which you have not given permission, or is not covered by a limitation or exception in national law, please contact us in writing stating the following:
- 1. Your contact details.
- 2. The full bibliographic details of the material.
- 3. The exact and full url where you found the material.
- 4. Proof that you are the rights holder and a statement that, under penalty of perjury, you are the rights holder or are an authorised representative.
You may contact us using our contact form.
Upon receipt of notification the ‘Notice and Takedown’ procedure is then invoked as follows:
- 1. The Shakespeare Quartos Archive will acknowledge receipt of your complaint by email or letter and will make an initial assessment of the validity and plausibility of the complaint.
- 2. Upon receipt of a valid complaint the material will be temporarily removed from the Shakespeare Quartos Archive website pending an agreed solution.
- 3. The Shakespeare Quartos Archive will contact the contributor who deposited the material, if relevant. The contributor will be notified that the material is subject to a complaint, under what allegations, and will be encouraged to assuage the complaints concerned.
- 4. The complainant and the contributor will be encouraged to resolve the issue swiftly and amicably and to the satisfaction of both parties, with the following possible outcomes:
- a. The material is replaced on the Shakespeare Quartos Archive website unchanged.
- b. The material is replaced on the Shakespeare Quartos Archive website with changes.
- c. The material is permanently removed from the website.
- 5. If the contributor and the complainant are unable to agree a solution, the material will remain unavailable through the Shakespeare Quartos Archive until a time when a resolution has been reached.
The Shakespeare Quartos Archive